Preserving for beginners offers all the skills needed to preserve the taste of summer, the cool of winter and the red of autumn.
This class is jam-packed with information.
In many preserving classes you are taught one to two recipes but rarely taught all the principles that underpin those recipes. With an understanding of the principles, you will not be left wondering if what you have done will last, if it is safe and safe to share.
You will learn about:
– Acidity and its role in preserving
– How to determine the acidity naturally found in raw ingredients
– Elevation; how elevation affects preserving times, how to determine if you are at elevation and how to adjust for elevation
– Raw Pack and Hot Pack method
– The role of sugar, salt, heat, time, and acidity
– How to sterilise jars and when not to pre sterilise jars
– How to accurately pack food into jars
– Preserving Organisations and their recipes
– How does the Australian Fowler’s method differ from The National Centre for Home Food Preservation
This is a hands-on class.
Join me if you can. Much huge care, Mara