Your guide to Ballarat's new Smarter Parking Plan
Ballarat’s new Smarter Parking Plan has been rolled out across the CBD.
The parking meters are a mix of credit card and coin, with the added ability to pay via the CellOPark smartphone app.
Motorists get one hour of free parking, per vehicle, per day and are able to park anywhere in the CBD, and move between carparks, within the time period paid for.
To use the meters:
- Enter your registration number at the first meter you find.
- If you are going to be less than an hour, you don't have to pay. But you must still enter your registration into the meter.
- If you are going to be more than an hour, pay for the time you plan to park. You will only be charged after your first hour of free parking.
- Either way, you can move your car between different carparks.
To use the app:
- Search the app store on your smartphone for the CellOPark app and download it.
- You then simply need to add your car's registration number in the app.
- The app will know your location when you park, so you simply press “start” once you've parked and "stop" just before you leave the park.
- If you don’t end your session with the free* version of the app, you may be charged for parking time after you have left.
- Blue permit holders get unlimited parking and green permit holders get double time for the amount they pay.
- The first hour of parking is free and is then $3 an hour after that.
- Meters charge in 30-minute increments. The app charges minute by minute.
- If you park in on-street carparks from 9am until 5.30pm, it will cost a maximum of $22.50. However, you can choose to park in an off-street carpark for $6.50 per day.