Seven places to get on the beers in Ballarat
Now that Premier Daniel Andrews has officially given Victorians permission to "get on the beers", here's our top picks for where to polish off a frothy or two in Ballarat:
- Drink your beer right where it's made at the recently-opened Aunty Jacks (315-317 Mair Street, Ballarat). The brewpub will produce about 100,000 litres of beer each year on site, including lager, pale ale, stout and seasonal specials.
- The brand new decking area at The North Star Hotel (302 Lydiard Street North, Ballarat) is the perfect spot to kick back with a tap beer from the likes of Ironjack, Furphy, Little Creatures, and White Rabbit.
- Mosey on down Hop Lane to popular laneway hangout Hop Temple (Rear of 24-28 Armstrong Street South, Ballarat) and try one of more than 250 craft beers on the menu.
- The Red Lion Hotel (217-229 Main Road, Ballarat) is the city's first and only venue to serve Carlton Draught unpasteurised tank beer, described by the brewer as " the purist's beer" as unlike other beers, it's not heated to 70 degrees during the brewing process.
- Head to The Mallow Hotel (20 Skipton Street, Ballarat) for an ever-evolving selection of Aussie craft beer along with classic pub grub.
- Cubby Haus Brewing (884 Humffray Street South, Ballarat) specialises in small batch classic-style beers and innovative contemporary interpretations. Take your pick from the 10 independent beers on tap or, for those with a sweet tooth, try the Pavlova NZ IPA, which is packed full of peach, passionfruit and plum flavours.
- And if heading out seems like just too much effort right now, order a slab of Ballarat's gluten-free O'Brien Beer, some Belgian-inspired ale from Dollar Bill Brewing or a seasonal brew from Red Duck Beer and catch up with friends or family over a backyard barbie.