From Ballarat with love: Father's Day gift guide
Shop small and support local this Father's Day (6 September) with our special gift guide showcasing Ballarat producers, makers and businesses.
No matter where you are in Australia, deliver a taste of Ballarat straight to your Dad's door at just the click of a button (or two!).
Food and drink
- Red Duck Beer has partnered with Blue Pyrenees Estate to create a special Father's Day pack ($158) featuring a 2018 Richardson Shiraz, 2018 Richardson Cabernet, 2017 Estate Red, Red Duck lager, Red Duck Amber and Red Duck Porter.
- For those who like it hot, Big Jims Chilli Co's signature fire sauce ($15) is perfect as a side sauce, marinade or dish enhancer.
- Sign Dad up for a home-delivered value pack of fresh pork and charcuterie from Pork Farm to Plate – a collaboration between Ballarat's Salt Kitchen Charcuterie and Western Plains Farms.
- If your Dad loves his lollies, visit Sovereign Hill's online shop and order a Sweet Treats Hamper ($35), filled with raspberry drops, mixed boiled lollies, rainbow shells, humbugs, fairy drops, and musk drops.
- Why not sponsor an animal in his name at the Ballarat Wildlife Park? With packages from $50 to $500, animal sponsorship provides the family-owned and operated park with valuable funds for food, enclosure maintenance, veterinary requirements and breeding programs.
- If medieval history is his thing, hit up Kryal Castle's online gift shop for a Knights Templar necklace, Rivendell Elf Larp helmet, or "All ale the king" stubby holder.
- Help Dad start a new lockdown hobby with a Rusty Gate Home Brew Kit ($49.90) from Ballarat Home Brew. Each kit makes approximately 23 litres of ale.
- Puzzles are another great way to pass the time at home and Ballarat's Jigsaw Gallery sells locally-made puzzles featuring works by Australian photographers and artists.
Clothing and pampering
- Grab Dad a statement tee or limited edition print from renowned Ballarat illustrator Travis Price's online shop.
- Creswick Woollen Mill's merino wool clothing range is lightweight and breathable, meaning Dad will stay dry and comfortable in the heat whilst the soft, fine fibre will keep him cosy in the cooler months.
- Hand-cranked and hand-dyed, The Odd Sockery's socks ($40) are made to order on restored and reproduction machines.
- Heaps Good Leather Work produces quality handmade leather goods with Australian and imported leathers.
- For the man who likes to smell good, spoil him with one of Sweet Fern's niche aftershaves.
- Think outside the box with a masculine scented candle from Mr&MisterCo.
- Take your pick from Eat Drink West's three Father's Day boxes – Love You Dad, Grill Master and Sweet As Box. Each box features a selection of premium produce from across western Victoria.
- With flavours so good they've bottled them, Mr Jones' new range of Asian sauces and dressings ($12.50 each) includes sweet chilli sauce, crispy chilli condiment, sweet & sour sauce, chilli & black vinegar sauce, sriracha sauce, and miso & sesame dressing.
- Vegas & Rose's Netflix 'n Chill-lax Gift Box ($95) is packed to the brim with housemade spicy popcorn, Istra kabana, Goldfields Farmhouse cheese, a chocolate fudge brownie slab, Grounded Pleasures drinking chocolate and marshmallows.
- Let him eat cake with Kittelty's and Saltbush Kitchen's Locked and Loaded gift box ($45) boasting two bushfood-inspired cakes, four bushfood-inspired chocolates, a box of The Fancy Salt and a snazzy Saltbush tin.
- Stock the pantry with his favourites nuts, savoury snacks and sweet treats from The Source Bulk Foods Ballarat.
- Order a vanilla bean beer mug mini cake ($70) or themed sugar cookies ($18) from The Cookie Collective.
- What man wouldn't love Standing & Co's Father's Day Box ($85), bursting with delicious meats, gourmet cheeses, chocolates, crackers, dip plus a beer, donut and embellished cookie.
For locals on the day
- The Bridge Mall's Your Mocha Your Mantra has created the Father's Day Hot Box. For $25 per person, you get a southern fried chicken burger slider, mini sausage roll, savoury muffin, arancini balls, chocolate brownie plus your choice of hot or cold drink. Pick-up times from 11.30am until 2.30pm.
- Treat Dad with Billy's Heat & Eat Texas BBQ Hamper. For $46.50 per person (minimum of two people per order), enjoy a cob loaf with sour cream and chive dip, chargrilled corn cob, coleslaw, honey mustard potato salad, sticky pork ribs, bourbon marinated brisket, South Carolina butterfly chicken, house-made Billy’s BBQ sauce, beer plus a mini dessert selection of peanut butter and oreo cheesecake, red velvet cupcake, lemon meringue pie, and apple pie. The drive-through pick-up area is at Mercure Ballarat, 613 Main Road.
- What better way to celebrate Father's Day than with the Boatshed Restaurant's Boatshed Seafood Feast ($120), consisting of a seafood platter for two people, beer battered chips, aioli and a bottle of Leonard's Road wine. Pick-up and delivery available.
- Give the gift that keeps on giving (and helps local businesses get back on their feet after a bumpy year) with a gift voucher for a Ballarat restaurant, retailer or accommodation provider.
- The Curious Winemaker ($550) is a year-long journey with Mitchell Harris Wines to discover the thoughts and processes that go into creating a memorable bottle of wine.
- Dad can learn how to make fresh pasta and Italian sauces from scratch at one of Carboni's popular cooking masterclasses.
- The Green Woodsmith's spoon carving workshops utilise simple handle tools to make unique handcrafted spoons.
Main image: Red Duck