Ballarat Begonia Festival
Where there's more than just begonias ...
The 2020 Ballarat Begonia Festival's long weekend program is packed with kid-friendly activities, garden design inspiration, culinary delights from three MasterChefs and a host of entertainment in the relaxing surrounds of the beautiful, autumn-blooming Ballarat Botanical Gardens.
Expect to see plenty of celebrities and make sure you have your camera at the ready because you'll have a chance to meet them all in the flesh at the free festival between Saturday 7 March and Monday 9 March.
For those who love a good feed, you're not going to want to miss seeing MasterChef favourites Poh Ling Yeow, Anushka Zargaryan and Ballarat local Tim Bone work their magic in an open-air kitchen.
Let your adventurous little ones roam the Ballarat Botanical Gardens in search of ABC Kids favourites Bluey & Bingo, the blue heeler pups who love to turn everyday family life into extraordinary adventures.
Dirtgirl, Costa Georgiadis and Sophie Thomson of Gardening Australia fame will also be on-hand with their gardening tips and tricks for 2020.
It's the Ballarat Begonia Festival you're not going to want to miss this Labour Day long weekend.
Saturday – the day to get your hands dirty
Saturday will feature expert advice from Gardening Australia hosts Costa Georgiadis and Sophie Thomson, while the kids will talk rubbish, literally, as dirtgirl explains how to recycle.
Homeowners are also sure to get inspiration for their own backyards from three very different garden design displays.
Sunday – a day of delicious recipes and mouth-watering treats
Sunday will pack a punch with three former MasterChef contestants – Ballarat's own Tim Bone along with Poh Ling Yeow and Anushka Zargaryan – cooking up a storm.
Let your taste buds explore the very best in local produce as you bite into a wood-fired pizza in the relaxing Begonia Courtyard, or delight in discovering dishes from around the world at the 20+ food trucks. Quench your thirst in the Begonia Bar with local beer from Red Duck Brewery and Cubby Haus Brewing, wines from Wightwick Wines and gin from Kilderkin Distillery.
Monday – Let us entertain you
Today is all about the kids!
Tiny tots will be entertained with appearances by ABC Kids’ characters Bluey and Bingo (fully booked). The Super Sandpit returns and, this year, you'll see a new attraction – Tiny Towns – a selection of adorable cubby play spaces including a fire station and milk bar.
Feed your children’s fascination with earth, water and flowers by giving them the opportunity to plant their own seedlings in colourful pots to take home and watch grow.
For those who enjoy a little magic, be sure to watch out for magician Barry Govan.
More than 40 community groups, schools, music groups and businesses will come together to celebrate Ballarat’s diversity and spirit as part of Monday's Power FM Begonia Parade at 11am.
Each year, more than 10,000 people watch the popular parade, which travels along Wendouree Parade between the South Gardens and the North Gardens.
Across all three days you can also ...
- Listen to live music across three stages
- Check out Australia's largest begonia display in the Robert Clark Conservatory
- Delight in discovering dishes from around the world at the 20+ food trucks
- Quench your thirst in the Begonia Bar with local beers from Red Duck Brewery and Cubby Haus Brewing, wines from Wightwick Wines and gin from Kilderkin Distillery
- Relax with pizza and wine in the Begonia Courtyard
- Watch your kids get creative at the Pot-A-Plant activity
- Take a seat while the kids build sandcastles in the Super Sandpit
- Let your kids roam free on the obstacle course or during the kids' CrossFit classes
- Purchase a plant or two at the Gardener’s and Creative Designer’s Markets
- Check out Tiny Towns – a selection of adorable cubby play spaces including a fire station and milk bar. Inspiring builders will also have the chance to build their own tree house to take home
- Tiny tots will be entertained over the three days with appearances by ABC Kids’ characters Bluey and Bingo (fully booked)
Visit the Ballarat Begonia Festival website for more information.
This free event is held at the Ballarat Botanical Gardens over the Labour Day long weekend – 7-9 March, 10am-5pm.