Discover and explore Ballarat’s eco tourism destinations.
From Lake Wendouree’s native birdlife to exploring Woowookarung Regional Park and Mullawallah Wetlands (Winter Swamp), there is plenty on offer for the eco traveller in the Ballarat region.
Eco tourism is a growing trend, with people wanting to:
- experience but not impact the area;
- take memories and photos and leave only footprints behind; and
- respect the traditional owners of the land, the Wathaurong people of Ballarat, while connecting with nature.
Golden Nugget Discovery Tours is certified by Ecotourism Australia. Its Ballarat Discovery Tour lets you see and experience the legacy of the Ballarat gold rush, still evident in the magnificent architecture and tree-lined streets of the city today.
Some local places to visit and explore for yourself:
- Lake Wendouree
- Woowookarung Regional Park
- Mullawallah Wetlands (Winter Swamp)
- Ballarat-Skipton Rail Trail
- Creswick Regional Park
- Nerrina and Brown Hill
- Gong Gong Reservoir Park
- North Gardens Wetlands Reserve, Lake Wendouree
- Eureka Track (Buninyong-Creswick)
- Yarrowee River Trail
- Union Jack Creek, Buninyong and Mt Helen
- Clarkesdale Bird Sanctuary
- Enfield State Park
- Mount Warrenheip Nature Reserve
- Lal Lal Falls
- Mount Cole and Mount Buangor